Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My Little Pony

By Angie Mojica-Barnes

     I was reminiscing with a good friend about all the toys I wanted as a child but never got. I was the fourth of five children in a single parent home and money was always tight. I recalled to my friend that the one toy I always wanted was a My Little Pony horse. I did get the off-brand one once, but to my trained little girl’s eye, I knew it was NOT the real deal. What made it bittersweet was that my cousins, my usual playmates, owned a slew of them. How I loved playing with those ponies, and my cousins too.

     After swapping stories of lost childhood longings, I promptly forgot about the conversation and went to work. During my lunch hour, I walked by a lake engrossed in my thoughts. It was a lovely spring day and I came to stand at the edge of the lake on the grass. Glancing down at my feet, I saw what at first looked like a blur of hairy colors. Curious, I bent down, picked it up, only to discover it was a My Little Pony! It was the real deal, a pink and purple miniature Pegasus; it was lying in the grass waiting for me to find it. It even had the logo on the bottom left leg. I put in in my pocket and walked on, my heart swelling and a lightness washing over me.

     I have often wondered at times if God heard my prayers and forgot me while he was handing out good things to others. It was as if I looked at God through the lens of a broken glass, while he still looked at me as the little girl whom he loves perfectly. God gave me a sweet reminder that day, in the form of purple plastic. I will tuck it away in my heart and remember he does not forget.

Isaiah 49:15 says: Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you.

What about you friend? What has God done for you that you need to remember today?


Angie Mojica-Barnes is a native of Wilmington, North Carolina. She is a secretary by day and a writer by night. She loves Jesus, dancing and all things encouraging.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Angie, what a beautiful post! That is such an incredible story. Isn't God good? And doesn't he truly work in mysterious ways!!!

    ReplyDelete