Thursday, May 29, 2014

God Promises to Walk Through Every Death Valley With Me




Photo by, Kim M Andrist






By, Laurel Senick


“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.”  (Psalm 23:4 NIV)




I've always imagined a literal death with this passage, the threat of death that is always around us. But a recent event allowed me to see death’s other stinging possibilities-- like the death of a desire or dream. 

My husband and I have been foster parents just over two years.  We have never been able to have our own children, but we know the Lord will bless us one day with children whether by birth, fostering or adoption. 

A few weeks ago we received an email telling us that two little boys had been cleared for adoption and in need of a forever home. The brothers were two and three year’s old, toddlers. Boy how our lives would change! After prayer our excitement budded, and we let Social Services know that we were interested in being their forever parents. 

The next day we received a picture of these two little angels. Our social worker explained that a few other families were interested and that the team would meet next week to decide which family would make the best match.

We prayed along with our church community group.  A few other friends and family were told and asked to pray. Our prayer was that God would place these two precious ones where they were meant to be. That God would sovereignly reign over the situation. 

The night before the meeting when the final decision would be made I was very excited. I had tried all week not to get my hopes up. But what is hope if not up?

I received an email the next afternoon. 

Another couple was chosen.

I tried to put on a brave face in front of friends and family saying I knew that God knew best, but Jesus saw my broken heart, my questions. He began the process of healing.  

Using His word and His people God is healing me. 

Long before I was born God promised to walk through every death valley with me, assuring me every step that he is sovereign and good.

Are you in a place where you need to know that God is sovereign and offering you His hand?






Bio: 

Laurel Senick has journaled her experiences and prayers to God for years. As a member of Word Weavers Wilmington, Laurel is shaping her writing into works that will bless and encourage others. She is married to her sweet husband Don who supports all her creative endeavors. They attend Live Oak Church.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart with us, Laurel! You are one of my favorite writers! I love your voice and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, I miss you and your positive spirit! Reading what has been on your heart was really beautiful even though the death of desire is a challenge. You are a blessing and blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this for the 1st time today. Thank you for opening your heart, Laurel! How deep your disappointment must be. I love how you've acknowledged the Lord walking through that valley of despair with you. He'll certainly see you through. I don't understand these low places He allows us to go, but how very comforting to know He takes us by the hand and walks us through those painful valleys. Bless you my friend, Beth

    ReplyDelete