Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wrestling with Christmas






by Sondra Dron

 
 
 
 

 

            Christmas used to cause me debilitating stress. I pictured myself wrestling with a muscle-bound opponent. I longed to push his face in the mat, triumphant over him. Perfectionism embellished the front of his muscle shirt. I was in the ring, battling for my trophy belt bejeweled with the words Christmas Sanity.  

How did I make peace with Christmas?  May I gratefully share things I have discovered in several decades of Christmas?

1.     I can let go. I have come to realize I cannot guarantee anybody’s Merry Christmas. People are as merry as they choose to be.  We can express love, but no matter what we do or how much we spend, people will react based on their perceptions and expectations. We can let go of our need to control their happy or unhappy responses.

 

2.      I can cling to the peace and joy of Christmas, but I can set myself free from traditions that don’t work in the present. I’m not required to bake a dozen cookies for each neighbor because my mother did. I can prayerfully ponder what’s meaningful now.

 

3.     I can be gentle, especially with myself. I can release swollen expectations of what I need to accomplish. I choose to re-evaluate anything that causes anxiety.  Am I trying to impress or please? Is love at the core of it?

 

4.     I can be firm, especially with myself. I can restrain impulse buying that will lead to New Year stress. Even children can understand that it’s about the manger and the cross, not the tree and the gifts.

 

5.     I can say yes and no to invitations and commitments. Yes to those that will bring joy to me and others. I can say no and still be a good person. Even Jesus said no to family and friends. He delayed in going to Lazarus and did not stop ministering when His mother and brothers wanted to talk with Him. (John 11 and Luke 8)

 

 

6.     I can give freely to those who can’t or won’t give back. I can give as unto God. I can invest in a person. I can take a risk.

 

7.     I can receive graciously. I can say “Thank you,” and not rush to buy a gift for the giver.

 

8.     I can laugh, intentionally. I watch funny movies, listen to funny songs and invite children over. I accentuate the holly jolly. I give myself permission to enjoy.

 

9.      I can be still. I can stop shopping, cooking and cleaning. I can light a candle and do nothing but stare.

 

10.   I can pray with the above candle burning. I let God whisper.  I close my eyes.  I embrace the Love of the Universe and let Him embrace me.  Perfect sanity.

 

 

What is your level of sanity so far this season?

Have you found a treatment for insanity at Christmas?  Please take a minute to share it.






 

Sondra Dron loves to help others find intimacy with Jesus. She is charter member of Wilmington Word Weavers, a writers critique group. She lives in Wilmington with her husband, David.
 
 



 
 



.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment