Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving Chocolates


 







by Mirjami Budarz
 

My Mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.’” -Forrest Gump. This iconic quote seems to hold true. The box of life contains unpalatable bitter and bittersweet candies in the assortment among the sweet ones.

My first Thanksgiving in this country was such a piece. I went into a long labor and after hours of agonizing pain, our first baby was born. Out of much pain came joy and the wonder of a new life and new motherhood. A piece of bitter sweet candy out of the box of life.
 
There have been many sweet pieces since that time, but then again I got an unpalatable surprise
from my chocolate box. Alzheimer's disease mercilessly silenced my dear sister Liisa. It cocooned her. She became unreachable.

 I missed her desperately and lamented to my daughter. She said, “Stop the pity party and be thankful for Liisa and her life. Celebrate the memories, the sweet times you shared.” Teary eyed, I picked up that bitter chocolate piece from my box of life and thanked God for my precious sister. Ever so slowly sweet memories flooded in and filled the deep void with solemn thanksgiving.

You may also yearn for someone dear to sit at your festive Thanksgiving table to share a family meal, stories, warmth, time together, friendships and hugs. Instead you feel sadness and a painful void. Those are the bitter unpalatable pieces.

Choose to treasure the memories, give thanks for them and look up. Your box of chocolates isn't empty yet. All the boxes contain a sweet “future and hope” piece. Although plain looking, it is the costliest candy, with the unique taste and stamp of the Master Chocolatier.

Sadly, some will leave that special candy untouched, look upon it with disdain and walk away.

Please pick up your “future and hope” piece, smell the tantalizing aroma and taste the goodness. Remember to thank the Master Chocolatier.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good. Psalm 34:8 NKJ

For I know the thoughts I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and hope. Jeremiah 29:1 NKJ

 Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! For his mercy endures forever. Psalm 118:1 NKJ


Mirjami is an active member of Wilmington Word Weavers.
She is an artist, writer and follower of Jesus.
 

2 comments:

  1. Love this beautiful post written by a beautiful person! What an incredibly "sweet" message!

    ReplyDelete