Friday, July 18, 2014

Stormy Night

By Mirjami Budarz

 Middle of the night
I wake up to beating rain,
water hitting at my windowpane.

My room, so dark,
long shadows, scary sounds,
my heart starts to pound.

Lightning, roaring thunder,
I pull up the blanket,
tuck my head under.

Where is my teddy bear,
the one with a loose eye and a little tear?

I search the corners of my bed,
just then I feel his velvety head.
Come here my teddy bear,
I need your hugs, comfort and care.


Again, lightning strikes, loud thunder.
Why don’t you speak to me bear,
are you awake, I wonder?

Mama, mama, I cry; come here,
I need you to hold me, to be near!

Mama, mama...
She walks into the room,
not a moment too soon.

I feel her warm hand on my cheek,
I hear a soft whisper; go back to sleep.

But first, we'll say a prayer,
for God watches over us,
always ready to comfort and care.


Dear Jesus, you calm the storm, the Bible says,
do it right now in the heart of your child,
cast away all fear and worry,
and do it soon, please hurry.

(Awana devotional by Mirjami Budarz - 10.1.1998)

When the stormy nights emerge, we, the children of God, young and old alike, are called to cast all our fears and worries upon God, for He cares for us.
Such precious knowledge, yet it's easy for me to pick-up the messy bundle of troubles again...and again, and then struggle stooped sorrowfully under the burden, unable to live fully the life God has for me.
During the inevitable storms of life I need to remind myself often that I have a privilege and instructions to drop-off my burdens by God and to leave them there. He wants me to trust Him completely and be a shelter in my storms and the comfort and peace in my heart and mind.
God yearns to talk and walk with me. I am neither forsaken nor alone in my mundane troubles. I am cared for and cherished by my creator. He loves me in spite of my shortcomings.
That motivates me to emulate the faith of a little child, to live with exuberance and look ahead with confidence, knowing that with God all things are possible, and that he holds the future.
The terrors of an unforeseen stormy night must yield to the light of a new morning, one brimming with promise of new mercies, hope and possibilities. For that I'm forever thankful. It puts a big grin on my mature face and dance into my step.
How about you?

...Don't be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6

...Cast your cares on the Lord, and he will sustain you...Psalm 55:22 

...his mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning. Lamentation 3:22

Bio:


Author and artist Mirjami Budarz was born in Finland after WWII into a large displaced Karelian family. Later she moved with her family to Germany and eventually the United States retiring in WilmingtonNC, with her husband in 2008. A short story of Mirjami’s was published in Guidepost’s, Unexpected Answers and she has illustrated two children’s books. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful poem! I plan on reading it to my girls tonight! I loved your artwork too, Mirjami! You are such a talented and precious person. -Beth

    ReplyDelete